Friday 13 April 2012

Masquer-Aid 2012


It's come to my attention (and hopefully yours!) that I haven't been posting for a long while, My bad :(
My exscuse is I've been busy. I don't think I wrote about it on the blog but I have actually been organising a charity ball this last seven months, it was held on the 23rd of March and so the month or so leading up to that I kinda abandoned blogging.... and school...and sleep and .... well alot of things :)

The ball was a great night! We were supporting Karinya, A women’s shelter for young ladies aged 13-20 who have been displaced by family conflict, poverty or violence. 

Karinya has 6 beds and 2 separate units that can house up to four people each. They provide young women with a safe place to live for up to six weeks. As well as providing housing and safety Karinya aims to provide each young woman who enters their doors with support and love. Often their charges have little or no possessions and are scared and alone, Karinya nurtures them and seeks to bring a quality of life back to them.

Each year Masquer-Aid ( the name of our charity organisation) hopes to support a local cause or charity with an annual ball and other small fundraising events. For Karinya as well as the ball we held a 'pile of stuff drive' and took some volounteers to work at Launceston Cup Day to raise funds.

On the ball night we had raised $2,725, an amazing result as the anticipated amount to raise had been $1,500, however it was just short of the $3,000 we were praying and hoping to reach. Then, when I walked into tea and coffee after church the Sunday after the ball, much to my suprise, the two pavlovas that had been left over from the nights food supply were being auctioned off to the praish members....AND THEN! they sold for $75 total! One for $50 and the other for $25. i want to thank those people who bought the pavs, You were so generous with your money and God truly worked through you :)

I went to bed that night really really really happy! But God hadn't finished yet! In church and leading up to the event I had prayed many times that we would reach $3,000. At about 10:30 pm, just as I was drifting off to sleep my phone buzzed, it was one of the Masquer-Aid team members, She had been contacted anonymously by someone who said that they felt God was leading them to donate to our cause and so...just 1 and a half hours before the cutoff time we reached exactly $3,000 with that final donation. how good is God and his crazy planning!?

I want to thank everyone who participated in the organising, attendence and running of the ball night! It was a great time and has shown the team that next year we can make this bigger and brighter and more amazing than ever! And thankyou to all our sponsers and and patrons who helped us raise such an amazing amount to support Karinya and their worthwhile cause! Until next year :)



No comments:

Post a Comment